- Wait Wait Don't Tell Me - NPR's weekly news quiz. Combination of improv comedy, weird news stories, and a competition. Run time: ~45 minutes
- NPR All Songs Considered - I enjoy listening to the banter between Robin Hilton, Bob Boilen, and Stephen Thompson and although I may not always like every song the podcast exposed me to a lot of music I would never have heard otherwise. More than one of my favourite songs/artists was discovered by listening to this show. Run time: varies.
- White Coat Black Art (CBC) - hosted by Canadian emergency room doctor and medical journalist Dr. Brian Goldman. An insider's perspective on the health care system and the impacts of its structure and limitations on patients and medical professionals. Run time: ~30 minutes.
- Comedy Factory (CBC) - a great short podcast with some skits and shorts from CBC radio programming. Hosted by Mike O'Brien. Run time: ~15 minutes.
- Laugh Out Loud (CBC) - a half hour show showcasing stand-up comedians; typically there is a theme that ties all of the acts together. Hosted by Craig Norris. Run time: ~30 hour.
- Pop Culture Happy Hour (NPR) - This is a relatively new podcast that I love; regular show participants are Stephen Thompson, Trey Graham, Glen Weldon, and Linda Holmes. It is basically about 45 minutes of funny people talking about topics related to pop culture.
- This American Life (NPR) - Hosted by Ira Glass this podcast offers anywhere from 1-5 stories on a theme per episode. It has been on for a long time so there are a lot of great episodes to choose from. If you like David Sedaris' and/or Sarah Vowell's writing then you will enjoy this podcast. Run time: ~1 hour.
- WNYC's Radiolab - science information presented with a twist. There are full episodes that are about 1 hour and "shorts," which are closer to 15 minutes and are usually an extension of a previous full-length episode. I love the way this show is edited. The sound effects, music, and integration of guests/listeners into the podcast make it extra fun to listen to.
Honourable mentions: WTF with Mark Maron, DNTO (CBC), Q: The Podcast (CBC), Johathan Goldstein's Wiretap, NPR: Books, The Next Chapter (CBC), Pregtastic (for expecting Moms).